The most important ingredient of a successful Startup Quest training program is the mentor for each team. The mentors are the heart of the program.
Mentors come from technology-based industries, such as software, information technology/information systems, aerospace, advanced materials and coatings, nanotechnology, robotics, medical devices, biotechnology, life sciences, automation, and other technology industries. Mentors should have experience in bringing a new technology to market, and this is fundamental.
Requirements for participating as a mentor are as follows:
• Experienced entrepreneur or accomplished upper level manager in a technology-based business;
• Successful at commercializing a technology;
• Knowledgeable about the industry applications of a selected technology;
• Willing to commit time and energy to the team and the entire program;
• Wants to give back to the community;
• Works well with people of diverse backgrounds and skill sets; and
• Willing to coach the team in developing the business